Today is Betsey Johnson's Birthday! Love that woman. I think in honor of her birthday, I will share where my love for her began. I was in the 10th grade and I was watching STYLE network (the only channel I watched!) and I saw this show where it focused on fashion designers that was given one shopping trip to make an outfit. Most designers would go to several stores and pick up things but Betsey bought a curtain, tank top, and several crafting items and made her outfit right there on the show. It was actually a really awesome outfit, and several times I have used that theory in coming up with my own outfit. When we get dressed, why does it necessarily have to be ready to wear clothing? Love your table cloth? WEAR it! Example of me wearing my scarf, that I used as a table cloth, as a shirt. haha did you catch that?!

Anyhow, also on the show they did a tour of her house. One thing that I really loved was she had curtains made out of vintage lingerie. So cute, so airy, so fashion forward. I of course had the urge to have lingerie hanging around my house so in my room I hooked about 30 of my wild bras together and hung them on the ceiling! That was over 3 years ago and it is still something people talk about.
Ever since that show I earned a great deal of respect for her and her work. I went to her first store when I was in the 10th grade and it was in D.C. (it is no longer there). After officially going in her store, and taking multiple pictures I knew she would forever be an inspiration to me and I never dreamed I would have quite the collection of Betsey that I have acquired today.
I LOVE YOU BETSEY JOHNSON! -Jamieliscious :]
I think re-purposing things is truly the sign of a great designer.
ReplyDeleteI love not using things in the way they were originally intended.
Betsy is genius at this and I too love her imagination!
You seriously need to meet her!!!
ReplyDeletei am so mad i missed meeting her last year. :[
ReplyDelete